Pride of Hyderabad -Charminar
hi dearies !!!!!!I am back with the post in the ‘Amazing Hyderabad ‘ series. The very first thing I am going to talk about is obviously ‘The Charminar ‘. The reason i said ‘obviously ‘ is that Charminar is the most famous spot in Hyderabad. In childhood whenever we got a question like ‘Write about the torist places in Hyderabad ‘ ,the list would start with Charminar . In many Telugu pictures if they want to show that any actor arrived at Hyderabad ,they would show Charminar ( symbolism ) ; Forget that ,even if you Google ‘Hyderabad ‘ ,the first page picture is of ‘Charminar’.
So I think it is appropriate to start the list with it.
Charminar literally means ‘Four towers’ ( Char =4 ,Minar =towers )
Charminar was constructed in 16 th century by Mohammad Kuli Kutubshah. ( You can read his love story & story of Hyderabad here ) . There are various theories circulating as of why it was built .Mostly accepted theory says that Charminar was built at the center of the city, to commemorate the eradication of plague”, a deadly disease which was wide spread at that time . Another theory says that it was built to celebrate the Second Islamic millennium year.
Architecture and Structure
It is of Indo-Islamic architecture style, incorporating Persian architectural elements. The main part of the structure is square with of 20 mtr height with 4 towers,each of 56mtr at each corner. The central structure has a small water body with a fountain.
The towers have steps (It is very much strenuous to mount those steps ,it is an extremely dark,cozy and tight place . If one misses a step ,you can not imagine how much damage that can cause. )
The minars and the interiors at many places offer a visual feast with delicate ,fine carvings . I really advice you to visit at sunset as you can get a spectacular view of sunset over the old city of Hyderabad.
How to reach
Being a metro city ,Hyderabad offers many means of transportation . I am planning to dedicate one entire post for this in future.
9 am t0 5:30 pm,Open on all days of week.
For Indians a nominal fee of 5rs.
Things to do
- Visit Charminar and enjoy the beauty ,which takes around 1 to 1 and half hr.
- Visit Mecca musjid ,which is just few steps away.
- Shop : Charminar is one of the prominent street shopping areas of Hyderabad. You can find jewellery ,clothes,bags and much more.
- Pearls : Remember Hyderabad is known as pearl city . You can find many Jewellery shops around Charminar, some of them are exclusive for pearls.
- Food : Street food is very tasty here. In Ramdhan month ,you can find many Haleem stalls . You can also find famous Osmania and Nilofer biscuits (cookies) in bakeries around Charminar.
I hope you enjoyed the post , If you do please like my Facebook page , share the post and subscribe to my news letter…